09 April, 2009

A little bit of this, a little bit of that

My husband feels that we have stepped through the wardrobe of "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" as we have left green spring behind us for a few days to come up to ....

-- a little too gray for me today! And with wet, ikky snow, too.

We've been "running errands" in the Bay area and seeing family -- always fun and enlightening. Yes, we've had to listen to "how hot it gets in Sacramento versus San Francisco". But I have to admit, the San Francisco fog-kissed foliage is especially gorgeous right now. I was especially drooling over some huge pots of calla lilies in a friend's back garden.

One brother-in-law is an excellent cook, and introduced us to some great (heirloom) dry beans to try -- Rancho Gordo beans from Napa.


So I'm making beans today, to have with some meatballs that are light and fluffy, thanks to the white bread and Parmesan cheese inside -- from


On Saturday, I received a "care package" from Germany with some gift wool, so I'm trying to make use of every gram of the soft and gorgeous handspun and have started on Anne Hanson/Knitspot's Japanese Feather scarf. I had downloaded some of her other patterns, but in the end, felt that this scarf pattern would cause me less of a heart attack as I get to the end of the wool. I had been meaning to make this scarf anyway, so it will be a lovely spring green gorgeous thing to go around my neck.


On the way up here, we were surprised to find a new Barnes and Noble bookstore in a small town. I had hoped to get this book

that I saw at my sister-in-law's. The store seemed to have every other knitting book but that one -- impressive selection, actually! But it turns out to be for the best, as my "trusty" library list in Ravelry tells me I already have the book at home!

I came away with the latest copy of Wild Fibers magazine - I'm definitely going to have to get my own subscription. I don't know where I've been -- I really didn't know about this magazine. Their mission statement:

"Our mission is to educate and promote all aspects of the natural fiber industry with special emphasis on sustainable practices and responsible use of natural resources throughout the world. We believe fibers represent an important chapter not only to artisans and cultural development, but an increasing sensitivity to environmental impact as well."

There are plenty of knitting magazines out right now, but this is for reading, with one pattern per issue, I believe. This latest issue's pattern is a vest by Jared Flood (aka Brooklyn Tweed) if you are interested!

No comments: