22 May, 2008

Weighty matters


Magazines weigh a ton when piled up over the (ahem) years. I've gone through my cooking magazines periodically, but now is the time to cull completely. I spent the entire day yesterday on the couch reading, ripping, and stapling what I saved.

We'll keep all the Cook's Illustrated, but all the Gourmets, Saveurs, and Bon Appetits will end up gone through one last time.

It's definitely like saving goodbye to old friends. We've used a lot of the recipes over the last 7 years for entertaining. And we'll never forget one household staff member who had an innate sense of cooking and could prepare desserts from the covers of Gourmet magazine .... and make them look like the cover, too!

One of the "fun" recipes I found yesterday was for "ranch" style salad dressing, so I promptly made some for our dinner salad. Green Goddess (sans anchovies) comes next. Amazing what fun you have with simple things!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could be there to pick up the magazines you are getting rid of!