05 March, 2009

Almeara gloves ... starting over

I've had a very nice chat in "behind the scene" messages on Ravelry with someone who has knit a lovely pair of Almeara gloves that caught my eye because of her version with longer cuffs. She also kindly helped me through the first parts of the charts, and since then it was swift sailing -- with some bright magenta Cascade 220. The chart is great, the cable definition great, and the overall pattern is fun.




But something was "wrong", and I put the project aside.

I decided today that the 2 extra cable repeats were very surprisingly too long for me -- the long long cuff just felt uncomfortable, even though I thought it would be fabulous. So I've decided to RIPppppppppppppp out the work, and will start again with the wool recommended for the pattern.
Rowan Scottish tweed aka formerly Harris yarns with Rowan


And then I realized WHY I was going to rip. The Cascade is ITCHY! Very strange, as I've never had that happen to me before. The yarn was acquired quite recently, so it's not like it has been sitting around here long, lollygagging with the mini-dust bunnies because we had no filters (see post below).

Oh well. I find it quite puzzling, as I usually prefer a little "rougher" wool for my gloves and mittens. I'll start again with the pattern + one repeat in the cuff - I do want them below my wrists a little!

PS - a reminder that Schoolhouse Press is starting up another KAL on March 9 with Joyce Williams -- Two Socks on Two Circulars! You'll find me on that Yahoo group for a while:)

No comments: