23 July, 2008

When in doubt, pick up a book


I have this book but haven't read it yet.

I think I'd better look at it, as I am continually intrigued about the "origin" of some knitting patterns. I just saw a reference to "cat's paws" being a Shetland tradition (according to Evelyn A. Clark in her new Knitting Lace Triangles book(let). Cat's paws designs are also very common in Russian Orenburg lace shawls, and I think Donna Druchunas Arctic Lace book also has some shawl patterns with the "cat's paw" in the designs.


Jean Miles in her blog Jean's Knitting often cites this book as a good reference on knitting traditions.

There is a a different "edition"/cover on another blog, and the book is also available from Knitting Out Loud audiobooks in an abridged format (which I can't stand -- I want the whole thing if I am going to listen to a book).

Otherwise, Amazon.com has it for some wild prices
(scroll to the bottom of the page for the "new" price)

No comments: