07 October, 2006

Knitting ... what's that?

Haven't been knitting much for a month but hope to make use of this long weekend.

I've been knitting a few rows of the Hedera socks while fiddling with the internet all day today. I may start the Grapevine socks tomorrow as I was able to get a 1.5mm circular needle locally -- Pony Brand (Chinese?).

Took my knitting to London but didn't take it out of the suitcase. Medical issues turned out fine and then I got to be a tourist.

I watched the changing of the guard and then went inside Buckingham Palace for the "Last Day of the Year" tour. So wonderful. Then spent the rest of the day into the early evening on the Big Bus City tour which is worth every penny. Other sites I went to were the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert (the textile section there was closed for remodeling boo hoo!). Both those museums have had a makeover since I was last there ?? years ago. Then a final trip to Westminster Abbey -- always moving to see history before your eyes.

There were no knitting stores in the Oxford street area where I was staying. But the John Lewis department store was there, and they had a decent haberdashery (must look up the spelling) section with drop dead gorgeous Rowan yarns ... that no American can afford. Disappointed with the needle section though -- no "small" needles and no fancy wooden ones or anything like Lantern Moon goodies.

Liberty of London likewise had beautiful Rowan items and even less in the extras department. And they've even stopped the little charm square packets of Liberty fabrics they used to do for quilters ... too bad.

One of the best parts of being in London was the high-speed internet in the hotel, so I have up-to-date knitting podcasts to listen to this weekend!